Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sushi!!

I went to lunch with a friend today. Japanese food. It’s been a while for both. I’ve seen this friend fairly often in other situations but I like going to lunch with him. We went to San Jose’s Japantown. I’d print the name of the restaurant but I can’t remember. I have the receipt but I’m too lazy to fish it out right now. It’s not on the main strip, but on a side street towards the end. I’ve only been to this place for dinner so lunch there was a first for me.

Of course, I have yet to have a bad meal ANYWHERE in Japantown. They even have an authentic Ramen shop there now!!

But this restaurant we went to has always been good. We found out that they don’t have as much of a selection of sushi as the other restaurants in the area. But they do have the basics: tuna, yellow tail, spider, California. We chose to share a plate of Rainbow Rolls, which had California Rolls in the middle but were covered with tuna…salmon…and a few other selections. Very tasty.

My friend also didn’t spot his favorite, Sashimi, on the menu. But, like the sushi, they had it, just not on the menu. We got some combo platters. Rice, Gyoza (one of my favorites), deep fried shrimp, sashimi, I got teriyaki chicken, he got teriyaki beef (rare). All with salad, miso and hot tea. Quite the tasty lunch.

As I said, it’s been a while since I’ve had Japanese food. Not just in Japantown but anywhere. There’s no good sushi in Gilroy, or Morgan Hill for that matter. It’s all crap. And with gas prices the way they are, I hate to drive to San Jose unless I have to. Now, once I’m there, Tempura is usually my fall back selection. I like to branch out and experiment but I don’t dig raw fish or anything with tentacles. I try to try different menu items but that deep fried shrimp and veggies is always calling my name. That’s why I like going with this friend of mine. He gets me to try new sushi. I don’t always like it but I know if I won’t eat it, he will.

No comments: